Alicia Prager | 25 | Austrian and living in vienna
My December cannot properly start without it: An oversized pot of mulled wine and lots of friends over to help me finish it. This advent staple is usually drunk at Christmas markets, but most of what you get there can hardly compete with the do-it-yourself version.
It lacks the most important ingredients: letting it simmer on the stove for hours until the whole flat smells like Christmas, and the party that goes along with drinking “Punsch”, as it is called in Austria. Here is my all-time favourite recipe:
Take the biggest bowl you can find. Put it on the stove. And fill it with:
- 1 part Orange juice,
- 1 part Black tea,
- 1 part Red wine,
- Orange and/or mandarin slices,
- Cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cloves, maybe a bit of ginger,
- Lots and lots of sugar (seriously: don’t save on the sugar)
- Let it simmer for at least one hour - the longer the better - and make sure it doesn’t start to boil, otherwise the alcohol evaporates.
- Before drinking it, add some (or a lot of) rum.
And voilà, Christmas can come!